Mattie Trammel Schoolhouse

600 N. High St.

Marker Text
This house was built in 1892 by Charles M. Thompson and his wife, May Agatha Trammell, for May's mother, Martha (Mattie) Gibson Trammell, a certified teacher. In this building Mattie taught young men and women the rudiments of etiquette until 1910. It is an unusual architectural variant with a broad hipped roofscape interrupted by a large central hipped dormer. A kitchen, bath, bedroom, and porch were added by subsequent owners about 1912. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992