Sardis Baptist Church

Thirtee miles southwest of Henderson off Hwy. 79 on CR 4187, Pleasant Grove

Marker Text
In the 1850s, several families settled in an area that became pleasant grove, also known as Shake Rag. In 1911, the community organized a Baptist church. The church met in the Pleasant Grove School House that was shared with the Methodist Church. In 1921, Rufus and Mary Allen donated 1.5 acres and lumber from his sawmill for a church building. The deed expressly stated that the frame building would be shared by all denominations. The first pastor was Brother Deckert Anderson. In 1951, a Sunday school room was added, but in 1958, the building was sold and a larger church was built to accommodate the growing membership. The church is all that remains of this community.