Rogers-Craig House

1011 South Main St, Henderson, private home

Marker Text
The Rogers-Craig house was built around 1890 on land that was formerly the site of the Fowler Institute. The house was originally a four-room, one story frame structure owned by Anna Caroline Montgomery Rogers, the widow of James T. Rogers, a sheriff who lost his life apprehending a criminal. Oil boom prosperity encouraged remodeling, and in 1935, owner Judge R.M. Leath and his wife, Alma, added a second story, bricked exterior and created the Dutch Revival style that is present today. Salah Craig and his wife, Elizabeth, purchased the home in 1958 and a library was added.