Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church

From Henderson, take Hwy 323 (N. Van Buren St.) northeast about 3 miles. The church is on the right.

Coordinates:
3212.611N
09453.368W

Marker Text
Captain Robert W. Smith (1814-51), a veteran of the Texas Revolution, donated land at this site in 1845 for use by a Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The first building here, a log chapel, was also used for school classes. In 1856 the property was traded to a congregation of Baptists from the nearby community of London (4 mi. NW). Organized that year as Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church, the fellowship has continued to worship here. The church and adjacent cemetery were legally separated in 1953 by court decree.