Pleasant Hill Cemetery

From Henderson, take Hwy 323 (N. Van Buren St.) northeast about 3 miles. The cemetery is on the left. Historical marker


Marker Text
Located on land donated in 1845 by Captain Robert W. Smith (1814-1851), a veteran of the Texas Revolution, this cemetery first served the members of Pleasant Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The earliest marked grave is that of DeWitt Smith, who died in 1850. Also buried here are 112 victims of the March 18, 1937, explosion which destroyed the school at New London (4 mi. NW) and killed 293 students and teachers. Annual Pleasant Hill homecoming activities, including a memorial service and dinner on the grounds, are conducted here each July.

cemetery entrance