Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church South Cemetery

From Henderson, take US 79 south about 12 miles, marker is on the left. The cemetery is on private property. Historical marker

Marker Text
The East Texas farming community of Pleasant Grove, also known as "Shake Rag", was established during the 1850s by southern planters. Among the first settlers were Judge Stephen Decatur Morris (1819-1898) and his wife, Mary (Bradford) (1823-1906), on whose plantation early methodist worship services in the area were held. About 1853, a sanctuary for the Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was built. The Methodist Cemetery was established here in 1873, with the burial of James Bradford Morris (b. 1856). He was the son of Stephen and Mary Morris. Others buried here include Dr. Richard H.C. Shelton, an eminent southwestern surgeon; other friends and relatives of Stephen and Mary Morris; and Pioneer Settlers. Church trustees Seaton Moore, Simpson Moore, and G.D. Boatwright purchased this land for the church and cemetery in 1877. The pleasant grove church eventually disbanded, with the remaining members joining St. Paul's Methodist Church in Henderson (11 mi. NE). By 1929, the year of the last burial in this graveyard, most methodist families were using the City Cemetery in Henderson. The Pleasant Grove Cemetery remains an important part of the record of early settlement in this part of Rusk County. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

Tombstone