Patrick Community

From Henderson, follow FM 840 to Brachfield. Turn left (north) and go about 2 miles.

Marker Text
In 1854 the Patrick brothers, James Moore (1795-1867), John Thomas Campbell (1814- 68), and Minor Leander (b. 1818), led Presbyterian families from South Carolina to Rusk County. John built a six-room log house on the Shreveport-Douglass Road. The brothers' nearby homes formed the hub of this community. Originally called Pleasant Springs, after the Civil War it boasted a church house and school, cotton gin, grist mill, store, and post office. By 1925 businesses closed but the school remained active until World War II. The church is all that remains of the once thriving village.