Merritt Building

100 E Main St, Henderson

Marker Text
One of the first lots occupied after the town of Henderson was founded in 1848, this site has been a cornerstone in the city's downtown development. Jesse F. Merritt bought the lot in 1883 and had this brick building constructed for his Sunny South Saloon. Built by local brickmasons Dave and Logan Howard, it has been home to several enterprises over the years, including saloons, offices, and a local social club. It was the location for Cameron's Drug Store for fifty years. The Merritt Building remains important to Henderson's downtown area.