Martin Cemetery

From Tatum, take Hwy 43 west about 1/4 mile. Turn left (south) onto FM 3231 (County Line Rd). Go about 3 miles, pass the dam, cemetery is on right.

Marker Text
Daniel Martin and his family settled at this site ca. 1833, adjacent to the historic Trammel’s Trace. Although the cemetery may have been in use much earlier, the oldest documented burial in Martin Cemetery is the 1883 grave of Jewel Williamson. The site was not officially deeded for cemetery purposes until 1972. In 1986, graves from the nearby Grant Cemetery were relocated to the Martin Cemetery site so that coal mining could be conducted. When Martin Lake was constructed during the late 1970s, the cemetery was surrounded on three sides by water and now sits on a peninsula. Martin Cemetery remains active, and the cemetery association meets several times each year. Historic Texas Cemetery – 2010.