Glenfawn Cemetery

From Laneville, take FM 1798 west less than 1 mile. Turn left (south) onto FM 1662. Go about 6 miles to Glenfawn. Cemetery is on the right just after CR 2753. Marker

Marker Text
Cemetery was begun after the death of Julien Sidney Devereux (1805-56), with the remains of his father, John W. Devereux (1769-1847), and an infant son reinterred soon after. Called Devereux and Sand Field, the plot served nearby Forest Hill community ( 1 mile N), site of academy founded by Devereux in 1850. Name was changed to Glenfawn in 1872 when post office opened with Charles Nunnally, postmaster. The settlement had several stores, two blacksmiths, school, church and Masonic Lodge building. The old Methodist-Baptist Church was located east of cemetery. (1973)

Gates