First United Methodist Church

204 N. Marshall St. Marker

Marker Text
This congregation was organized by the Rev. Preston W. Hobbs in 1842, one year before Rusk County was created, as part of the Shawnee mission. That appointment was renamed Henderson in 1843, when the Rev. Orin Hatch was appointed pastor. Other ministers have included prominent circuit rider William Craig, and J. W. Fields, who helped establish a Methodist school, the Fowler Institute, in 1850. Throughout its history which dates back to the days of the Republic of Texas, First United Methodist Church of Henderson has provided community service and leadership.


Church Church