Rev. William Craig

located at Henderson City Cemetery

Coordinates:
3209.256N
09448.076W

Marker Text
(1785-1865) A Methodist circuit rider, the Rev. William Craig was born in South Carolina and entered the ministry at age 18. He married Rebecca Hortense Horton (1785-1866) and had six children. About 1841, he moved from Mississippi to San Augustine, Texas. In 1849, he established a home in Oakland community in Rusk County. He served several appointments in East Texas, riding his mule, Tobe, up to 300 miles on one circuit. In Nacogdoches, he conducted services in the Old Stone Fort. He organized Henderson circuit and also served as chaplain for the Texas Senate.