Church Hill United Methodist Church

From Henderson, Take SH 43 northeast about 5 miles to New Prospect. Turn right (south) and go about 5 miles to Church Hill. Church is on the left. Historical marker

Marker Text
In 1839 this congregation was organized with the Rev. Claugh Waterfield as pastor. The first member was 14-year-old William F. Richards. The Rev. William Craig began the 300-mile Church Hill circuit in 1843. John Robertson, John Strong, and Samuel Wasson set aside this 27-acre plot for a church and schoolhouse in 1852. When the structure was erected in 1879, there were about 12 dirt-floored houses built nearby for families during camp meetings. The "Academy," which served as the schoolhouse, is used as the educational building. (1979)

Church