Campground Cemetery

From Mt. Enterprise, take Hwy 84 east to CR 3195. Turn left (north) and go less than one mile to CR 3185. Turn right (east) and go less than 2 miles, cemetery is on right in the curve. Historical marker

Coordinates:
3156.179N
09438.758W

Marker Text
The Mt. Zion Baptist Association, composed of thirteen area Baptist churches, was organized on this property in 1857. The cemetery's name is derived from the use of the Mt. Zion Baptist Church sanctuary and grounds as a campsite by Confederate General John A. Wharton's Cavalry troop in 1864-1865. Although the first recorded burial is that of Guss Christopher in 1910, the presence of a number of unmarked grave sites suggests earlier burials. The cemetery contains about 140 burial sites and continues to serve as a graveyard for the surrounding rural community. (Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995)

Gates