Caledonia Methodist Church

SH 84 at FM 1791

Marker Text
This church dates to the late 1860s and efforts by Methodists of the Caledonia community to organize formally. At that time, Dr. Lovick P. Garrison, John Barham and J. Harvy Johnson bought a tract here for the first church building. Also in the late 1860s, Thomas Smith and Sarah Elizabeth (Avery) Garrison came to Caledonia and served as church leaders. Although the couple moved to Timpson, their daughter Adele and her husband, Charlie Eugene Sanford, continued to serve the community and the church in many capacities. Garrison descendants and other longtime congregation members led the church throughout the 20th century, and it remains active today. (2004)