Beall-Ross Home, Henderson, Rusk County, Texas


at the Depot Museum Complex marker

Marker Text
This board-and-batter, five room, dog-trot house built in 1864, has been restored to its appearance in 1900. It was built at Church Hill by Robert Augustus Beall and wife, Ida Jane Peek Beall. Four of their seven children were born in this house, including two of the three brothers who started the Beall Department Stores. The Bealls sold the house in 1899 and moved to Hunt County where Robert Augustus died the following year. His wife and children returned to Henderson where Archie, Willie and Robbie Beall opened their first store in 1923.

Dr. Jesse Ellick Ross and wife, Mary Elizabeth Strong Ross, purchased the house from the Bealls in 1902, they sold it to his brother, James Manning Ross, who occupied it with his wife, Nettie Emily Brooks Ross, and their five children. Their son, Monnie Manning Ross, acquired the house in 1913. He and his wife, Maud Findley Ross, reared eight children in this house where seven of them were born. Monnie Manning Ross vacated the house in 1989 after residing there for eighty-seven years.

home