Arlam Baptist Church

From Mt Enterprise, go east on Hwy 84 to Concord. Turn right (south) onto Hwy 95. Go less than 5 miles to Arlam.

Marker Text
Organized as Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, this congregation began meeting in the Pine Flat schoolhouse in Nacogdoches County in August 1897. Eleven members met for services with pastor M. L. Hones in the schoolhouse until December of 1898, when they moved to the Arlam School in Rusk County. In 1904 the congregation, in cooperation with the Woodmen of the World Lodge, erected a new structure in the Arlam community, near the school, which they shared with area Methodists. A tornado devastated that structure in 1942, and a new sanctuary was built on the site of the old Arlam schoolhouse. By 1951 church minutes reflected the change of the congregation's name to Arlam Baptist Church. The church continued to thrive, serving the community with a variety of programs. (2000)